Wilderness 101 Race Report

Wilderness 101 report by by Joël
Race date July 27, 2013
So here it goes my first blog entry ever.
The Wilderness 101; so first of all the W101 is not an introduction into mountain biking or hiking or camping like the name might make you think. It is a 101 Mile endurance mountain bike  race in Rothrock  and bald Eagle state forest in central Pennsylvania, with a good mix of fire road’s and some of the most rugged single track trails on the east coast, heck probably even in the US of A. 
This adventure started for us with a 3ish hour drive to the race venue which is the tiny town of Coburn, PA. About 10-15 minutes away from Coburn we got lost, well however lost you can be when you have a map. At some point we were stopped alongside the road looking at the map when Garth Prosser (cool racer dude Google him some time) passed us and said o just follow me I will show you where it is. Unfortunately he drives his car like he rides his bike, so soon all we were left with was a cloud of dust. But we knew we were going in the correct direction and quickly found Coburn park.
Once there, it was time to sign in and set up camp for the weekend. After a few years of setting up camps together Jess and I have finally found out a system that works, it goes kind of like stay out of my way I will stay out of yours, and talk as little as possible that will give less ammo for arguments. After setting up camp it was time to find some dinner, we went into Millheim which is about a 15 minute drive and slightly larger town than Coburn. We found Elk Creek café & ale works that was recommended by the race organizers, got a seat and ordered beers and food. Not long after ordering the people next to us got their food it was some awesome looking spaghetti and meatballs that was not on the menu. So I set out on a quest to find our server to change our orders, unfortunately those people next to us got the last of the spaghetti and meatballs. Once back at my seat Jess, Chris (Chris is a guy I work with at Saucon Valley Bikes that had decided to meet up with us and also do the W101) and I made all sorts of plans as to how we were going to lure our neighbors away from their table and steal their food. Nothing came of it and we settled for the burgers and fries we ordered which were awesome. After indulging it was time to get back to camp and get in a good night’s rest.
Race morning; Jess and I wake up to the sound of rain on our tent or so we thought, neither of us had any interest in getting up to miserable weather so we just laid there for the longest time thinking how nice and cozy the tent was and what all could be done in said tent. We finally got up and found out that the “rain” was the rain fly flapping against the main tent. It was actually perfect weather for a race a little brisk in the morning warming up as the day went on but stayed overcast and never got unbearably hot.
7AM race start; both Jess and I felt ready to go and were pretty excited. I was unfortunately a little too excited and did the classic go out way to fast and realize 30 minutes in there was no way for me to hold that pace for my 9 hour goal time so backed off a little but it was too late I had to back it way off I was getting passed left and right, I was ready to call it a day and just go back to the start line or ride back till I found Jess and ride with her. But just when I was ready to call it a day Rob Lichtenwalner passed me and somehow talked me into continuing. And continue I did as the race went on I started feeling better and passing some people. About half way through I finally dared to look down at my Garmin and somehow it was telling me that I was still well within my goal time. So I kept on riding making sure to keep up on calorie intake mainly by means of Cliff Shot blocks and Gatorade. And to keep good form through the technical single track trail sections as to not crash, and or create any mechanicals. This all went very well and I was actually having a great time riding the awesome trails that central Pennsylvania has to offer, and was very happy that I did not quit an hour into the race.  Other than taking in the beautiful views, and trying to make small talk with some other great riders and ever ready super awesome volunteers that make events like this possible it was an uneventful race for me. And In the end I managed to keep it all together and crossed the finish line in 8hrs 42min good enough for 36th place in the men’s division. Jess also finished crushing her goal time by over an hour and making me jump out of my beauty sleep doing so, because I was not at all expecting her yet.  Jess's time put her 9th overall women.


After some good food and beer and festivities that went on pretty late it was time for some sleep, and sleep we did. Not waking up till the next morning when it was time to pack up and drive back home to reunite with our buddy Clifford.


 Joël race morning representing SVB