A day in the life...what cycling means to me

Many people think that Joël and I "just" ride bikes; that we just go out and meander around the block on nice days.  Nope, we don't do "just" that.  We push the limits of our bodies, we brave extreme conditions and weather, we squeeze rides in no matter what else is going on in life or how late we stayed at work the night before.  Cycling is what makes us happy. It brings us together and it's time we share with Clifford. It's time spent with family and friends.  It takes us on adventures.  It's our life.



To summarize, a poem-esq writing about what my bike means to me.

My bike, it's not just an inanimate object made of metal and plastic, it's a vehicle to my soul.
It allows me to see new places, enjoy beautiful views, and take in what nature has to offer. The conditions may be cold, dirty, hot, or wet.  It's a vehicle for adventure.
I am able to spend time with my family, friends, husband, and dog. It's a vehicle for fond memories.
Through my bike I help women gain skills, have fun, and become empowered and confident. It's a vehicle to get more women on bikes.
My bike helps me challenge myself. Sometimes it's hard and it hurts, but I always end with a smile. It's a vehicle for learning about myself, setting goals, and pushing the limits.
This is how I live, what I embrace, and is all part of doing something epic.

Did you notice this poem was in the video above?

In the words of Liv cycling... this is How I Liv and how I have Lived Beyond

As an undergraduate in college many, many years ago I did what many college students do-partied, drank too much beer, and ate too much pizza. Luckily I realized this was not ideal; and decided to start running and eating better.  Along the way I added cycling and swimming, and soon entered my first triathlon.  This pivotal moment was the transition to a healthy lifestyle that shaped me into the cyclist I am today.

After my first tri I was hooked. I competed in numerous Ironman length races and raced tris all over the world.  A major life event then changed my cycling discipline. After being hit by a car and needing spinal cord surgery, I decided to try mountain biking to minimize my time on the road. I immediately fell in love with it. The challenges, the friendships that developed, the confidence I gained all made me want to keep hitting the trails. Since then mountain biking has helped me experience things I have never imagined possible. I have gotten dirty, challenged myself, gained motivation, and enjoyed many adventures.  As a side note, I do still road ride but tend to keep to quiet country roads.

Cycling is a family affair.  Joël and I met at a race and our relationship developed via chatting on training rides.  Along with our dog Clifford we travel around North America living out of our van seeking out awesome riding spots for mountain biking vacations and races. Our speciality is endurance racing; solo 24 hour races and multiday stage races. But don't be fooled; we have real lives and work full time; myself as a small animal veterinarian. All this adventure seeking occurs on weekends, holidays, and vacation time.

But riding is not all about racing; it's about the relationships that develop.  Many friendships have blossomed out of riding.  Post ride beers, hanging out around a campfire, and the understanding of having to get up at 5am for a training ride make cycling friends extra special.  I am involved with the local bike shop, Saucon Valley Bikes, in helping develop a women's cycling community in the area as a Liv Cycling Ambassador in 2016 and 2017. Through the seminars and rides I hold via this program, I have empowered women and helped them gain confidence to do more and go farther on their bikes then they thought previously possible. It brings a smile to my face when the ladies tell me how excited they are and how much they enjoyed an event I held.

My bike and the relationships is has helped me build is always impacting my life for the better. Through cycling I have adopted a healthy lifestyle that I can be proud of.  Leading women's programs has helped me motivate and empower other ladies. Cycling, especially mountain biking, has challenged me in so many ways possible; especially 24 hour racing and stage races.  Dirt, sweat, and tears are not uncommon; but with a little motivation they are always followed by smiles. Life is filled with epic adventures and my bike takes me there, that is how I live.

Many kudos to Saucon Valley Bikes and Liv Cycling for helping on this journey!

-Jess