UNBOUND XL. 350 Miles of Gravel Uncertainty

UNBOUND XL

350 mile gravel race

June 3-4, 2022

Emporia, Kansas

Jess 8th place female finish time 30 hour 4 min; Joël unfortunately scratched due to bike issues

Click on video above to watch

UNBOUND XL, 350 miles of gravel throughout the Flint Hills around Emporia, Kansas. What was planned as husband and wife bonding event turned into an uncertain solo experience.  350 miles can throw numerous challenges at even the most experienced riders but what happened to the Nankmans was not even considered a potential issue, until it was. There was no thought in our minds that both of us would not finish until one of us pulled out.  Did the other overcome the challenge?  Did the other persevere? Did uncertainty turn into victory?  Read on to find out.


Being that we were there for the experience, not racing for the top spots, Joël and I decided to ride together.  A great husband and wife bonding event.  I was worried about being out there all alone in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere Kansas; what if I crashed, what if I got lost, what if I passed out, what if a cow or wild horse ran me over; what would I do?  Both Joël and I are novices at these long gravel events thus we didn't know what to expect.  I can fix basic mechanicals on my bike but Joël can fix more in-depth problems. I have a very basic GPS function my cycling computer that is challenging to follow and I tend to push the wrong buttons and make it not work. Due to these aforementioned circumstances we thought it would be fun and safe to ride together, so that is what we planned. Once again, even with proper planning and preparation even the best laid plans can go awry. Our bikes prepped at Saucon Valley Bikes, our Lupine Lights charged, and our Honey Stinger Nutrition packed and we were as ready to go as we ever would be.

 

The race began with about 140 riders congregated at the start line in the event expo area of downtown Emporia for the 3pm start on Friday. A neutral roll-out got riders moving through the throngs of cheering spectators, press, race volunteers and support.  The streets literally were lined with people, it was one heck of a send out. In a short time the paved road turned to gravel, riders spread out a bit and the racing started.  Joël and I were just riding along, enjoying the views of all the surrounding farm country and cattle fields and then “hiss……….” followed by the squishy feel of a flat tire for Joël.  Joël told me to continue to ride, he would catch me later.  30 min passed, 60 min passed, 90 minutes passed and still no Joël.  He should have caught back by now. Anxiety set in, I was beginning to wonder if I was on my own. The course now stopped at the first gas station stop, where I filled bottles and got a snack, and as I was leaving Joël pulled in. He said he flatted numerous times and would catch back up in a bit.  As I left the aid stop I joined with some fellow riders who were going the same speed and after some friendly chitchat we decided to ride together.  Joël found us in some time and explained the situation; he had a huge slice in both of his tires and was uncertain if the repair would hold; I should be prepared to finish the event without him. Well, within no time another flat and that was it, Joël was done. I stood there on the side of the road and cried. I was on my own. Could I do it solo?  Did I have all I need?  Could I fix mechanicals on my Liv Devote Advanced?  Did I know how to work all my gear and equipment? All of this went through my mind as I pedaled on. I knew I could complete the ride, of course I could, but I was not mentally prepared for what just happened.  A few more tears spilled out but I was determined, I was there to do this, I was there to ride strong and to finish.


Fast forward miles and hours later. I met up with other riders and found a great group of guys to ride with. They all knew about Joël having to pull out, and one guy even told Joël that he would watch out for me and help me if needed.  How wonderful, cyclists are all just such a great group of people, an amazing community. I was never alone during the entire overnight portion.  Pulling into the gas station stops was like arriving at an oasis, like arriving at bright and shining mecca coming out of the desolate darkness of the lonely night.  Riders were congregated all around, eating and drinking and sharing stories of the ride thus far.  They were offering each other food and drinks, encouragement, and help for mechanical and physical ailments.  Despite loosing my riding partner I knew I was not alone. I got this.  

 

The sightings of owls, coyotes, raccoons, deer, cattle, turtles, snakes, and frogs kept the night interesting and kept spirits high.  But not soon enough there was the welcomed sight of the sun coming up over the horizon.  I made it through the night without sleep and without any issues.   I was still riding strong and feeling good. I had found a good group of cyclists to pedal along with; all keeping each other company and passing the time with chitchat and candor.  But soon things would change, more dark moments would occur, and I would again wonder if I could get to the end.


The rain started.  Rumors prevailed about this race and the mud it entailed.  Thus far, about 250-300 miles in, there was no noteworthy mud. But that changed quickly.  In addition, the route had joined with the 200 mile racers. More people on course, more people churning up the ground, more people adding to the chaos. The mud was everything from watery milkshake consistency to thick and sticky like peanut butter.  Riding was a struggle, walking was a struggle, bikes became laden with mud and all of a sudden weighed what seemed like 100 pounds.  My arms hurt so much I could barely lift my bike, my back hurt so much I could barely push my bike, shoes became so mud covered it was like walking with concrete blocks on my feet.  Clipping my shoes into my pedals was darn near impossible.  All of this made forward momentum a struggle and progress slow.  Then, a mechanical issue, I could not shift gears, my bike became a single speed.  I was coasting the down hills, spinning as fast as possible on the flats to get some power, pedaling as far as possible on the uphill and then walking until the next downhill. I thought maybe it was the mud, I used water from my bottles…bad decision noted later…to clean the mud off. No improvement. Many people stopped to help me, no one else could figure it out.  Once again, the wonderful sense of community, riders helping others.  I was tired (by now I was awake for somewhere around 30 hours, riding for probably 24 or so) and at this pace even making the finishing cut-off may be a worry. I was done.  I cursed.  I cried.  I was ready to throw in the towel.  Another rider stopped and noticing my struggles gave me quite the pep talk.  “You made it this far, you have enough time to make the 3am cut-off, I can tell you are the type to finish no matter what”. Amazing what the few words of a stranger can do.  I ended my pity-party, put on my big-girl panties, and continued on.  And then a miracle occurred, after what seemed like a few more miles of single speed pedaling all of a sudden I had gears again. Guess the mud dried? Maybe Devine intervention? Who cares, I could shift gears again and that was all the boost I needed.

 

I started to pedal strong again. I felt invigorated, renewed, I could do this.  But then I realized I used all my water to wash off the mud.  The next water stop was 20 or so miles away.  It was now sunny, windy, and dry…and I had been doing a lot of walking and standing around fiddling with my bike out and exposed in those conditions.  Well, mental note for the future, don’t use your drinking water for anything other than drinking. I was worried about dehydration and I decided to take it easy as to not exert too much effort and make things worse.  I pedaled smoothly and easy until the gas station stop at mile 320.

 

All of the other gas station stops I moved through fairly quickly but at this one I stopped for awhile. I sat on the curb surrounded by water bottles, gatorade, pepsi, pringles, and fig bars.  And I consumed them all.  Some of the guys I was riding with also stopped and sat for awhile, it was a fun little picnic we had while talking about not only our ride but also sharing our life stories. Many spectators and locals were milling about the gas station and their motivation was appreciated. It was a struggle to get up again but I knew I had to keep pedaling.  The sooner I got back on the bike the sooner I would get to the end.

 

The final 30 miles seemed like the longest 30 miles ever. Part of me wanted to just push hard and get them done, hey 30 miles is usually just a quick morning ride before work.  Part of me also just wanted to just cruise along, too tired and sore and chafed and blistered to want to exert any energy. In addition, all that food and drink I consumed at the gas station was slogging around in my belly creating some interesting gut feelings. I needed it, I was dehydrated and depleted, but it was going to take some time for it to settle.  I took the middle ground. I just chugged along, nothing hard but also no lolly-gagging. I watched the miles tick away and was finally making that final turn into town.

 

The finish line was like a party. Sure, it was 9pm, all the pros for the 100, 200 and 350 mile XL had finished hours ago. It was now amateurs finishing.  A long finishing chute extended down the street through town. It was lined thick with people many rows deep cheering, giving high fives, ringing bells. Music was playing. Announcers were giving the names of finishers.  I crossed the line and realized it was done.  Happiness, frustration, pain and just sheer exhaustion were all going through me.  Race volunteers immediately surrounded riders giving them their finishers awards, asking what they needed, asking how they could help; I didn’t have an answer.  All I wanted to do was sit down and do nothing.  Joël was there and immediately found me; “take me to the van and our campsite” was all I could murmur.  And that is what we did. A hot shower, a belly full of food, and then I was asleep. I do admit  I wish I could have experienced the atmosphere and party at the finish line but at this point it was just not plausible.

 

My final finish time 30 hours and 4 minutes.  8th women out of 21 starters. I am happy with my race.  I am still learning about gravel racing and these single-loop long distance events.  But the biggest hurdle I overcame….24 hours prior to the finish I learned I was on my own when Joël pulled out; not at all what we had planned.  I learned that yes, I can make it through- the highs and the lows of the emotions, the mental and physical struggles, the mechanical issues, I can do it.  I also learned that I really am not alone; it really is a community out there on the course, a community of those helping and encouraging each other so that we all get to the finish line.

 

Side notes about UNBOUND…

Emporia, Kansas is an amazing city and embraces the race. Quaint town with great shops and eateries.

The event has SO much to offer throughout the entire race weekend.  Group rides, expo area, welcome party and finish line party.

Lyon County Fairgrounds highly recommended for camping- tent, van, campers all welcome.  Flush toilets and primitive showers.  Just under two miles to the race area in town.

 

- words by Jessica

- photos by Joël and race photographer

- rider support for Jess by Liv Cycling, Saucon Valley Bikes, Lupine Lights. Honey Stinger

- race support by Enve and Life Time Media