Volvo Michaux Terror of Teaberry



Volvo Michaux Endurance Series Terror of Teaberry
Event: Michaux Race Series Race #3
Place: Michaux State Forest
Ridden: September 11, 2016

The Terror of Teaberry was the last race in the Volvo Michaux Endurance series three race series.  The previous races, Curse of the Dark Hollow and Michaux Maximus, were fun and challenging races, they truly fit the description of back country racing. Since we enjoyed the other two, there was no question as to if Joël and I were going to attend the last race.  In addition, I was in the running for the overall series women’s championship, so I wanted to race to try to win the overall series.

The Terror has the reputation of being the most challenging and rocky of the three races. And it certainly was.  There was by far more single track and the single track was more challenging than the other two previous series races. Just fine by Joël and I, we like rocks.

The race started off fine for both of us. Joël was right up with the front runners and I was comfortably in second place for the women.  Then as I looked up the trail I saw Joël walking. I stopped to talk a little while with him, finding out he crashed pretty hard.  Ripped kit at multiple places, scrapes and blood, and a dented helmet.  Joël promised me he would be fine and that I should continue onward. I did so but with hesitation not knowing how he was doing back there.

Rocks gardens, boulder fields, log overs…that is pretty much how the race then went.  Huge rock formations to ride up and over, fast downhills, backcountry trails that were rugged and ungroomed.

An hour or so later, Joël caught up with me. He said he walked for awhile until he felt better and was now back to riding.  We rode together for a few miles and then Joël decided he was feeling ready for normal race pace and decided to try to catch some men. Off he went. 

By this point in the race the 30 milers were beginning to catch some of the 20 milers. This was nice because it meant more people to talk with. After Joël left I was beginning to feel a little lonely; it was almost four hours into the race and having people to talk with is a good motivator.  Especially the last portion of race; it was single track that even for the best riders included quite a bit of hike-a-bike.

30 miles of rocks and logs is how I would sum up the Terror of Teaberry.  Super challenging but super rewarding course. Despite the nasty crash Joël was able to hold onto a top ten spot in his division.  I finished 2nd overall women. This placing cinched the overall series championship for me.

What a great series the Volvo Michaux Endurance Series is and I would recommend it to anyone who wants the challenge of rocky and rugged singletrack.  As one other racer told me, Michaux is a magical place. Just embrace the challenge and amazing rides will happen there. And who can’t argue with kegs at the finish, beer as awards, money and awesome prizes for winners including Wicked Girl cycling specific clothing.

Thanks for a great series!

-Jess