Rothrock Trailmix, Boalsburg, PA

Single Track Sunday
Event: Rothrock Trailmix, MASS Endurance Race
Place: Tussey Mountain, Boalsburg, PA
Ridden: June 2015

Click on video to play

We just can't pass up this event.  36 miles in Rothrock State Forest, 80% of which are single track, covering some of our favorite trails. Tussey Mountain, Croyle Run, John Wert, Longberger are all included. In our opinion, this race features some of the best trails ever!

The weekend started out with another night in the van, sleeping near the event site overnight prior to the race. Race morning we moved the van to a nice shady spot for Cliff (thank you to the race director Dave for allowing us to park there) and got ready for the day.  Racer bags were filled with swag- T-shirt, socks, metal pint glasses, snacks, chain lube, and more.  The only downfall to race morning was the rain- a constant drizzle forecast to go all day that we knew would leave the rocks slippery and the course muddy.

And that is how the course was.  The rain and mud certainly did add a challenge to the day; at times it added a sense of adventure and fun.  But, even with the adverse conditions, the course was awesome.  The rhododendron were blooming and ferns were everywhere.  Who can't can't enjoy the view from Tussey Ridge (even on a cloudy day it was amazing), bombing down Croyle Run and Tussey Mountain Extension (made very sketchy with the wet conditions), or the challenge of John Wert.  As mentioned above, about 80% of the course was single track; the other 20% was gravel roads and double track jeep roads, which primarily consisted of the climbs on the course.  A course that suited the 27.5 inch wheel size of our Anthem Advanced and Lust Advanced 0 perfectly- they easily rolled over the rocks, kept better traction in the corners, and help accelerate up the climbs,

Aid stations were plentiful, four total. The aid station volunteers were friendly and super quick at filling bottles and handing over aid station bags (they were uber quick when I said "I just passed from third into second, and she is right behind me, but I need water please!").  Post race food consisted of pulled pork, coleslaw, some super yummy whoopie pies, and beer.  Award winners received medals and multiple prizes. So all in all a great race that we definitely recommend. It's got everything going for it- an awesome course, great volunteers, tasty post race food, and huge amounts of race swag and awards.

And speaking of awards, I came home 2nd overall female. Joël, who was more content taking video and riding with friends, just took it easy but still pulled off a 10th overall male.

- words by Jess
- video by Joël