Back Again- Unfinished Business at UNBOUND Gravel XL

Back Again- Unfinished Business at UNBOUND Gravel XL


Our return to this why?

Event: UNBOUND Gravel XL

What: 354 miles of gravel throughout the farmlands of Kansas

Organizer: Life Time Athletic Events

Where: Emporia, Kansas

When: May 31- June 02, 2024


2022 was the Nankman’s first go around at the UNBOUND XL.  At that event two years ago I rode strong and finished well; a clock time of 30 hours to earn 7th overall female.  I was happy with my race and felt there was not much more I could do to improve upon it. No reason for me to take on the XL again after 2022.  Joël on the other hand suffered multiple mechanicals and had to pull out around mile 80. He felt a return to this event to conquer it was needed.  Joël opted to enter again which was understandable; I didn’t need to prove myself a second time but there was no way I was going to just sit back and watch Joël race so of course I had to enter. Back to Kansas we headed for the 2024 UNBOUND XL.

 To read the previous edition of the 2022 blog post click here

To view the video of the 2022 race click here for the Nankman You Tube video

Going to UNBOUND is more that just showing up in a small mid-west town for a race, it’s an experience.  Starting days before the racing happens there are social events such as movies, seminars, hall of fame inductions, meet and greets with industry experts, and the expo.  Riders take over the Lyon County fairgrounds to camp in tents, vans, and RVS while many racers opt for lodging in the local dorms, hotels, and private rental homes in the area. This influx of cyclists to the area means hanging out with friends old and new at local eateries and around town, talking with industry folks at the expo, and exploring all the UNBOUND happenings in the area. So many wonderful surprises of people Joël and I didn’t know would be there that we got to visit with.  Joël and I arrived at the fairgrounds a few days before the race start on Friday afternoon which allowed us time to do some local sight-seeing, take part in race sponsored events, hang out with friends, and relax by just sitting around reading and watching movies.  Registration was Thursday night which recommendation for others: arrive early for this.  It took quite some time to get through the process. Note: our dog Clifford typically comes with us to races but due to the length of our travels and time away from the van while racing Cliff stayed home for this event.

Race day started with beautiful weather and it was forecasted to stay this way for the entire event, and it did. A 3pm start means just puttering around all morning getting bikes and gear ready while trying to stay calm and relaxed.  The fairgrounds is a 15ish minute ride to the start so around 2pm it was decided time for the Nankmans to head over. Once in Emporia proper waiting for the official call to the start line the Liv and Giant pop-up store kept us fed and hydrated until it was time to line-up. On the start line it finally hit me- holy shit here goes 350 miles and 30 plus hours of riding.  Can I make it to the end?  Will I have any mechanicals that I can’t fix?  Will these lingering injuries I am dealing with bother me?  Have the changes in my training routine helped or hindered me?  All of a sudden the nerves and anxiety set it.  Luckily; many good friends were at the start line to give well wishes, shout outs over the PA system, and hugs prior to the start.  Thanks goodness for their support and confidence in what was about to happen.  A quick kiss and well wishes between Joël and I and then it was time to pedal.

 

2024 was a “northern course” route. What does that mean? A more challenging ride. More climbing, more technical and jarring gravel roads, more time way out there in the middle of nowhere.  Definitely a harder course than the southern route; it gave the bodies and the bikes a much harder beating.  Things started off just fine for me. Riding along, eating and drinking as planned, and I found some talkative and run fellow riders to pedal with. Along the way I rode with some others from Pennsylvania the comradery kept spirits high for everyone. I had enough supplies to get until just about dark, six hours in, until I needed the stop at a gas station along the route to restock. It’s always such an interesting experience when visiting the race-noted aid stops; typically gas stations, general stores, and parks.  It’s an exhilarating but sad experience.  Some people look refreshed and excited to keep going; others look beat down and depressed about riding.  Once everyone settles into their pace it is not uncommon to see the same people at each stop.  I typically make quick work of the stops, in and out, just as to not loose momentum and motivation. 

Refueled with Gatorade, Muscle Milk, and Pringles to add to my supply of Honey Stinger food I was back on route.  In 2022 riding at night was one of my highlights of the course. This year it was a lowlight.  Night time started off fun with some properties along the way cheering on racers with bonefires and aid stops.  But around midnight fog rolled in and there was nothing to see. No wildlife, no scenery, barely even a freaking cow was visible.  The course was technical which even with my amazing Lupine lighting system it was tough to see the rocks and washouts with the high grass and foggy conditions. The night riding beat the crap out of me physically and mentally.  I only met up with a few people here and there overnight but we were all riding at different paces and skill levels on the technical terrain so on one to really hang with for any extended period of time.  On I pedaled hoping for the sun to come up and give me inspiration to keep going.



Daylight finally happened. All I can report about this is I just kept pedaling. Nothing really exciting. The XL course now met-up with some of the 200 miles racers here and there; I only came in contact with the pros who rode by me like I was standing still.  By mid-day the sun I was waiting for all night made hot conditions.  Meeting up with fellow riders here and there we all lamented about the beating sun and hot temperatures. Once again, oh well, just keep pedaling.  By mid afternoon another women rider and I had teamed up together to keep each other company. It was nice to have comradery.  We chatted about anything and everything and supported each other along the way. In fact; we ended up riding together almost all the way to the end around 11pm.  Throughout the day it was gas stations, parks, and race-supplied aid stations.



Just around sunset, the second setting of the sun I witnessed during this ride, the course was now in synch with the 100 and 200 mile riders.  People everywhere!  Riders to cheer each other on, spectators to give motivation and support.  By this point however I was done. Despite strong legs and an able mind other chronic injuries were flaring up which meant slow pedaling and quite a bit of walking.  Oh well, I made it well over 300 miles, what is a few more hours of riding at this point.  And that is how it went.  Forward momentum, whether riding or walking, to the end. Along the way a women from Pennsylvania who knew me from the local race scene was riding the 200 mile event gave me accolades when I was feeling at almost my worst; amazing what a little help from another rider can do.  Around 11pm I finally pedaled across the line.  It was a struggle and a lesson in perseverance but I came to Kansas to finish the XL and I was going to no matter what.  Joël was there to meet me after he finished just before sunset in 30 hours, he was determined to Race the Sun and made it. No race ending mechanicals this year for Joël, mission complete, XL done.  In addition, some fellow cyclists and friends from Pennsylvania were hanging out to greet me and give me a beer when I crossed the line.

Soon after my ride was complete some other riders from the Lehigh Valley area crossed through the finish. Joël and I cheered for them and then just like flipping a switch the tiredness and soreness set in so it was time to head back to the fairgrounds for food, showers, and sleep.

Awakening the next day early to head over to the awards ceremony held in the historic theater was rough. Neither Joël not I was even close to being on the podium but we wanted to support those that were, especially those we knew who earned top spots.  We cheered, thanked friends and supporters who were there, and then it was time to start the drive back home.  A stop at Braum’s for breakfast where we each ordered multiple meals was our last stop before leaving Emporia.  Thanks UNBOUND for a good ride.

In summary, not really the ride neither Joël nor I had hoped for. But we made it to the end. We each had significant struggles that we had to overcome and in the face of adversity made the decision to keep pedaling rather than pull out.  In an event like this that is most of the battle.  My Liv Devote and Joël’s Merlin bike were perfect for the ride.  Lupine Lights and Ortleib bags were perfect gear choices. Main Street gym made for a strong body and Saucon Valley Bikes made for strong bikes.  The question everyone has been asking is will we be back again in the future?  Still waiting to decide.

-words by Jess; input from Joël

- photos from Joël and the race sponsored photographer